Europa-List: W18 plate alignment problem

Subject: Europa-List: W18 plate alignment problem
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 11:21:07

While fitting the outrigger assembly to the outboard double-W18 plates
in the wing, I discovered that the fit was not very snug. It appears
that I might not have clamped the plates properly when I bonded the
W18's into the wing long time ago. The plates are not perfectly
parallel; the leading edge of the W18's are fine, but the trailing edge
is 1-2mm wider than necessary. If I bolt the outrigger assembly this
way, it may pull the W18 plates inwards and cause undue stress. The
thought of removing one of the W18 plates with a heat gun and
re-bonding did cross my mind, but that seems a bit extreme. Is there
anything wrong with shimming the gap with some aluminum sheets? Any
advice would be appreciated.