RE: Europa-List:

Subject: RE: Europa-List:
From: Alan <alanmilner@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 13:49:24

Hi Paul

I installed the factory kit a few months ago so can try and help.

Q. What to use to stick the various materials down - the unlined stuff
is very thin - the foam backed very thick

A. I used spray upholstery glue - I got 12 spray tins off ebay - used about
half.  It's a bit like evostick impact but in a thin spray formula.  You
really need to mask EVERYTHING though, and even then you get some on the
carpet etc.  If you're quick (sub 1 hour) it comes off with a small amount
of turps on a small cloth.  For small sections evostick impact in a tube
works well.  I found this useful if sparying was likely to get on anything.
The key to fitting the thin fabric (I figured out eventually) is not to put
too much glue on and STRETCH everything when fitting.

Q.Any advice on order?
A. I did as per the Europa instructions.  Make sure you have the newest
instructions, and some of the part numbers were incorrect in my kit.  With
the instrument panel installed it would be almost impossible to fit the
front sections. Apart from that, do any sanding before fitting the interior
- It gets really grubby very quickly.

Q. Having filled the spaces in floor pan with blue foam should we be
covering with glass +/- ply before seat cushions?
A. Sorry, can't help. I have fuel drains and fuel filters under the seats so
just have a piece of 4mm ply with a layer of glass over instead.  When
cleaning the filter a small amount of petrol gets loose and dissolves the
foam.

Q. Why the moulded glass headrest covers?
A. Weird.  They must have changed this - my headrest covers are just pvc,
stitched to fit when stretched and glued on.  I ordered the kit about a year
ago - maybe they have changed it.

Q. Where does the bag of large area washers fit in?
A. I still have the same bag - unopened - I think they are for the rear
baggage carpet section -but no idea how to fit them.  I'll call Roger and
ask one day.

I have some photos but my website is down as I moved house yesterday and
have no proper internet for a few weeks.

Give me a call if you like - I'll send you my work number.

I've attached on recent photo if it's any help.  The plane is also in
Cambridge awaiting a PFA mod approval :( if it would help to look at one -
not the best job, but still took me ages.  Some professional help would
undoubtedly made for a better result.

Oh, one other thing, the trim around the lower windscreen has started to
come off in the sun once the panel went in.  I mustn't have put enough glue
on and it just looks tatty now.  But access is really poor so I'd have to
remove the panel to get at it.

Alan

Anyone recently fitted a a factory interior kit and would be willing
to answer an as yet unspecified number of questions as we try to make
sense of heaps of material on the bench in front of us?

Some starters for 10:

What to use to stick the various materials down - the unlined stuff
is very thin - the foam backed very thick

Any advice on order?

Having filled the spaces in floor pan with blue foam should we be
covering with glass +/- ply before seat cushions?

Why the moulded glass headrest covers?

Where does the bag of large area washers fit in?

More to follow I suspect.

Regards

Paul
G-GIDY