Re: Europa-List: broken leg

Subject: Re: Europa-List: broken leg
From: Michael Grass <M.Grass@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:24:31

All,

I made a little while an interesting observation with tie raps (not sure
about spelling) which I believe are made from similar nylon material as your
outrigger legs. I have a lot of experience with the cable tie raps based on
my previous job where I used a lot of them. You can rely totally abuse them
and they stay flexible.

Last year when I bonded the top on, I realized that some of the tie raps got
really brittle like hard plastic. I wondered why. The only thing I could
come up with is that they got in contact with acetone.

Now I made a test. I wiped a couple of tie raps with acetone and left them
for a day. After this 1 day waiting time I just bended the tie rap and they
broke just like hard plastic. Totally weird. The only thing I can come up
with is that the Acetone changed the outer surface properties of the tie rap
and made it very brittle.

So with this observation: Could it be that you experienced the same thing
here? Did you or the painter cleaned the legs with acetone? Or did the paint
changed some of the properties of the nylon?

Again, I do not know what exactly the Acetone did to my tie raps but the
more educated chemist might be able to chip in here with an explanation.

Blue skies up

Michael Grass
Europa XS Tri Gear
Detroit, Mi