RE: Europa-List: More EFIS Thoughts

Subject: RE: Europa-List: More EFIS Thoughts
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 03:55:27
>In redesigning the panel I promised myself a better way of hooking up
those connections such that the panel can easily be removed. I have
something like 5 connectors which all have to be connected blind while
balancing the panel on the center tunnel when putting the panel back.

What have others done to take wiring from one side of the firewall to
the other?<

All my flying instruments are mounted on a subpanel. When this is
removed its electrical items are easily unplugged and quick disconnects
are used for the pitot-statics. This then provides a large whole in the
panel to work through. I have 3 main firewall connectors which are
mounted behind the shorter flight instruments. One for high power
including earth connection, one for engine mounted wiring and one for
airframe mounted wiring. By keeping the engine wiring separate the
socket and the complete loom can be removed with the engine when the
engine needs removal. I also have a pair of plug/socket connectors
mounted parallel to the firewall which are also easily reached for all
airframe connections aft of the firewall. My whole panel can be removed
or refitted in 20 minutes.

>I would like to use something like one of those 25 pin electrical
connectors that all the wires run to. This way I just have connect one
big connector and I would position it such that connecting will be
easier. The highest rated wire is the negative from the battery through
to the panel, its 10 swg. Would a 25 pin connector be able to support
the load?<

I would suggest you use a separate higher power multipin socket like I
did. As mine was a 3 pin I used the extra pin to provide a separate
backup feed through another fuse so that essential services can select
an alternate routeing of power should the main panel fuse blow.

>Any comments on what others have done would be appreciated. I would be
particularly interested in the magneto wires and shielding.<

I just used a/c quality coaxial cable for these. The shields were
connected to earth at the panel end keeping the live inner cores
shielded until they are grounded for engine stopping.

Nigel Charles