RE: Europa-List: 912 Voltage Regulator Values

Subject: RE: Europa-List: 912 Voltage Regulator Values
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 23:26:00

*       What is the a/c voltage input to the the regulator supposed to
be?  I am showing 15.4<

The voltage will depend very much on how much load the regulator puts on
the generator output. It is likely that the generator will provide all
or nothing as it is just a collection of coils. The fact that you are
reading a voltage at the input of the regulator infers that the problem
is downstream of the generator.

>What is the d/c output voltage supposed to be?  I am showing voltage of
12.85 (battery voltage I believe)?  My thinking is that it should be
14.5 or some where in that neighborhood.<

Once you have a voltage over 13 volts it is pretty certain that the
battery is receiving charge. An ammeter as well as a voltmeter helps to
show what is happening. Mine shows about 13.8 volts when on charge.
>From the sound of it your regulator is probably at fault.

There are two ways to improve regulator reliability:

1.      Mount it in an area where it is kept relatively cool and free of
vibration. On top of the footwell is the usual choice. Added ram air
directed at the regulator is a good idea particularly with Classic
Europas. The under cowl temperatures with the Classic tend to be higher
as the exhaust air from the radiators routes through the engine bay. I
use the NACA duct on the lower starboard side of the cowl to provide ram
air for cooling for the fuel pipes using 2 inch flexible pipe. The pipe
outlet points at the regulator ensuring it receives a cool air supply.
2.      Limit your standing load to no more than 11 amps. The Europa is
a VFR aircraft so even with a fairly comprehensive panel I find this
quite easy to achieve. It becomes more of a problem if you include
landing or navigation lights.

Nigel Charles