RE: Europa-List: HELP my Rotax Won't Stop! - Problem Fixed

Subject: RE: Europa-List: HELP my Rotax Won't Stop! - Problem Fixed
From: Richard Schultz <Rschultz5@houston.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:42:25

Thanks to all who supplied troubleshooting ideas.

I ran out to the airport this afternoon armed with good advice on where to
start my troubleshooting and my trusty multimeter. After pulling the top
cowling free the troubleshooting only took about 2 seconds for my mark I
eyeballs to spot the offending cause of the problem. The wire to Mag B had
broken clean at the end of its insulation. I have not looked at the crimp
connection under a scope or in the sem yet but I am going to assume the
crimp was too tight and kinked the wire. 150 hours of vibration caused the
strands to fail. I added a little more stress relief to my new crimp
connection. This was the connection on the switch side connecting the wire I
ran out to the module and not the electronic module or it's provided wiring.

The flight after the mag drop was noticed was only 40 miles with 2 airports
along the way and a single pilot flight. It was a risk but thought out and
as this is an experimental aircraft with and non certified engine the risk
seemed marginal enough to allow the flight to continue. Only one spark is
needed to keep the plane going and in my case the problem was not in fear of
the engine stopping in flight but how I was going to stop it once back on
the ground.  Thanks to all for the troubleshooting tips and ideas. Always a
good form full of hints and good information.