Europa-List: Re: What epoxy should I be using

Subject: Europa-List: Re: What epoxy should I be using
From: D Wysong <hdwysong@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 02:48:54

> Epoxy mixes are not interchangeable. Different brands have different
> modulus of elasticity and other mechanical and thermal properties.
>
> Aeropoxy is what the designers of the Europa chose and validated.
> Use something else and you are totally on your own.

True, but the 200 series of MGS resins/hardeners are a very
safe choice for any experimental aircraft.

The properties for MGS 2XX resin/hardener are actually a bit
better than the Aeropoxy spec'd for the Europa.  As Graham
pointed out, MGS is used on several certified and
experimental aircraft.  It is less viscous than most
systems, too, so wet out is much easier.

There was recently a HUGE problem getting MGS into the
states due to hazmat classification, though.  Everything got
held up in Canada (all US bound MGS comes through Canada),
and Spruce shipments were running 6+ months late in some
instances.  All should be well by now, but it's worth a
check before you order.