Europa-List: Mod 72 and Airmaster Prop

Subject: Europa-List: Mod 72 and Airmaster Prop
From: tony.bale@virgin.net <tony.bale@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:56:33

Just thought I would report back to the forum having completed mod 72
yesterday on our XS Mono. Thankfully supported by a friend that had already
done another mono and gave invaluable advise and guidance (thanks Russ).

We were able to just remove the air box, loosen the air inlet ducting and
radiators, drop the engine down and forward a couple of inches, and
complete the job without actually disconnecting anything other than the
four engine mount bolts.

Before running the 16.5mm reamer through, we used a 16mm first. The actual
enlarging of the two tubes to take the inserts and fitting them only took
about an hour, however I have to say the cutting inside the mount with the
reamer is not for the faint hearted ! once completed however, the insert is
a good snug fit. I guess from start to finish the hole job took about 5
hours (not including the hour it took to fish the nut out of the gear
mechanism I dropped behind the firewall).

Having now completed the mod we can now go and fly the aircraft with the
new Airmaster prop which is now also signed off. The initial flight test
showed a dramatically reduced take off run and improved climb rate, however
more details once we have done proper testing and got some hours under our
belt.

Best of luck to one and all with the engine mount mod

Tony.

mail2web.com - Microsoft Exchange solutions from a leading provider -