Re: Europa-List: Re. mono gear collapse

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re. mono gear collapse
From: William Mills <william@wrmills.plus.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:14:41

To all flying monos,
Has anyone decided to renew the U/C shock cord as a timed maintenance issue?
Mine is 10 years old and 1,000 plus hours, flying off rought grass strips,
but still seems to function well, albeit probably a little tired by now.
(like me!)  Someone has suggested that if the shock cord is not sufficiently
tight, it may contribute towards a gear collapse.  If that were the case, it
would be nice to know what others think and what maintenance they have done,
or intending to do, to the U/C mechanism over the years.  All I have done so
far, is to replace the two bronze bushes, when they appeared to be a bit
sloppy at approx 600 hours, but I am not sure if that was absolutely
necessary.
Regards,
William