Re: Europa-List: Re. mono gear collapse

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re. mono gear collapse
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:46:48

Jon, I think you are on the right lines here. Although a lock is a lock it
is clearly capable of being unlocked!  If the plane takes off abruptly
having gone over a significant bump the unloading of compression will
encourage the swinging arm to continue downwards, putting tension on the
overcentre elements thus tending to bring them back into a straight line and
indeed travel on into an 'undercentre' unlocked position if the movement is
violent enough, and if the gear lever set up is loose enough.
      From this point of view it might be argued that being further over
centre in the downlocked position might increase the hazard as more momentum
(of the overcentre locking elements) will be developed when the swinging arm
unloads downwards, increasing the likelihood of forcing itself undercentre.
If it starts significantly overcentre it effectively (like a good back row
forward) takes a run at it and gets up a fine head of steam by the time it
reaches the neutral centre position, and is inclined to carry on taking
anything in its path with it!
      The fragility of the joint between the gear selector lever and the
rest of the system was brought home to me when I found after flying through
some fairly severe  turbulence in rotor, that the gear lever stopped 1/4
inch short of the detent on putting the gear down. The inertial effects on
the swinging arm and wheel had been enough to shift the alignment of the
joint where the gear lever joins LG08S with three bolts. Others of course
have reported similar things after trailing the plane with the gear locked
in an up position.
       My conclusions are:
 (1) that the system is best set up being only just overcentre
 (2) that the Gear lever/ LG08S joint has to be as solid as possible, ie
holes precisely to size and    faces bonded, and the reinforcing mod added)
  (3) that the detents for the gear lever should allow no significant
movement
              Regards, David Joyce, G-XSDJ