RE: Europa-List: Mod 72 question

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Mod 72 question
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 07:56:55

Mod 72 provides added strength, in particular in bending, by adding
thickness to the wall of the tube.  It is the added thickness that provides
the additional strength and because there are no forces that would tend to
move the insert along its axis (relative to the original tubing) there is no
need for bonding it into the frame.

Epoxy used to create a bond between the original tube and the insert would
be a weak annular region that could allow the original tube to deform,
albeit very slightly, if the epoxy were to extrude out of the gap.

As for corrosion protection, remember that the original frame is powder
coated only on the exterior so nothing much changes when adding the insert.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070
Airframe complete