Re: Europa-List: Re: Airport survival

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Airport survival
From: John & Amy Eckel <eckel1@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:40:07

The County is putting up $500,000 this year and $1.5 million next year for
the purchase of the field from the present owners.  One of the attractions
of the airport is that it is flat and they feel all
they have to do is put lines down and put up goal posts.

We are pushing the idea of keeping the airport for educational as well as
recreational use.  Things like the Young Eagles program ( we just flew 42
kids) and Boy Scout merit badges.
Adults also need recreation and the airport would serve that purpose,
especially for Sport pilots.  I have been told that Charles Lindberg used
the airport, so there are historical reasons to keep the airport.  It is
only 8 miles from where he lived in Hopewell, NJ. (The same town as the
airport)  There are a lot of good reasons, but it will be a lot of work.
Thanks for writing.

John