RE: Europa-List: engine preservation

Subject: RE: Europa-List: engine preservation
From: Alan Burrows <alan@kestrelinsurance.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 10:39:08
Hi Richard,

Kate and I have just returned from the International Comanche Society
Convention in Australia and whilst there we attended a lecture on this very
subject given by a senior Lycoming exec.He told us that shell have just
developed a new oil for this purpose. Apparently it leaves a coating on all
the moving parts that remain attached for a considerable time, and prevents
internal deterioration and corrosion. Sorry I can't remember it's exact name
( I was prob asleep by this stage) I think it was something like Aeroshell
30 but if you contact the Shell website I am sure they will advise.

Interestingly he also recommended removing the oil filler cap after running
the engine to allow vapour to escape from the hot engine rather than remain
inside , probably not as relevant to us given that we have a separate oil
tank but still worth noting. The other important thing that came out of this
lecture was the need to seal all external holes to prevent ingress.

Hope this helps, don't stay grounded for too long.

Kind regards

Alan

Ps our twin commanche is currently being overhauled at ANT just round the
corner from you! So we might see you at Blackpool shortly.

  _____