RE: Europa-List: Monowheel sight gauge

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Monowheel sight gauge
From: Roger Bull <roger@middlecave.plus.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:57:38

Glenn,

Some years ago we had a similar problem.  In those days the fuel gauge was
tee'd off the line to  the engine, and when the fuel level dropped to the
point where the gauge showed nearly empty air got into the line, caused the
engine to fail, me to force land and considerable embarrassment!

Subsequent investigation showed that the flow of fuel past the tee caused a
drop in pressure sufficient to show several gallons less in the gauge than
the true quntity.  The error increases with rate of fuel flow, and hence is
only apparent when the engine is producing significant power.

I mentioned this in case you may have your gauge connected to the engine
supply line rather than a static outlet from the tank.

Regards,

Roger