Europa-List: banjo fitting

Subject: Europa-List: banjo fitting
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:37:52

Ralph,

Your question was:

> I sure would like to know more about the AN banjos you've found, for the
> same reason as you've gone to them. Are you sure you want to use copper?
> Why not the washers that are normally used with the AN fittings?

Initial pics are posted on my build site -

http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL

There will be additional pics this weekend.

I have seen these fittings in both steel/cadmium and aluminum/anodized
advertised
on european auto racing supply web sites but never could find a U.S. source
for them.

I can't say exactly, positively, that the banjo fittings I have found will fit
the Rotax fuel pressure regulator.  They look like and appear to be the same
size
as the banjo fittings on the regulator.  Until I get home this weekend, I
won't know for sure.  They seem to be available only in AN-2 and AN-4 equivalent
sizes.

As I understand it (I haven't removed a banjo from the regulator), the copper
washers
go between the head of the banjo bolt & banjo and between the banjo & regulator.
They do not go on the AN portion of the fitting.  Supposedly, these
copper washers are one use only.  You can not re-use them.  So if you remove
the fitting for any reason, new copper washers are required.

Fancy stainless steel and rubber washers come with the replacement banjo bolt
but
not with the banjo fitting.  Not knowing if those banjo bolts would properly
fit the regulator or if the fancy washers would work with the Rotax, I decided
to wait on purchasing them.

I'm scheduled to attend the Rotax 9xx class at Lockwood in December.  I don't
plan
to actually remove/replace the banjo fittings on the regulator until I have
taken the class and had an opportunity to discuss the change with the Lockwood
folks.

I hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Meanwhile, I'm still looking for a source for the copper washers.  Lockwood??

Good building and great flying,
Bob Borger