RE: Europa-List: Starter engagement

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Starter engagement
From: William Daniell <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:18:46

Ah - now I think I understand

Thanks

Will

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com
[mailto:owner-europa-list-server@matronics.com] On Behalf Of Fergus Kyle
Sent: 25 September, 2006 08:45
Subject: Europa-List: Starter engagement

Will:

"From: "William Daniell" <wdaniell@etb.net.co>
Subject: RE: Europa-List: Anyone install battery aft of Baggage bay bulkhead
Err another question "maximum time of starter engagement"  Whats this?
Will"

Sorry, I may have created more discussion than planned..... I meant that
every aircraft I have ever started made it plain there was a limiy to the
number of electrons which occasionally leapt from battery to starter. The
argument seemed to imply that although both the wire and the starter motor
were capable of carrying the starter current, they wouldn't happily do it
for an eon. At a certain point, one of them would get warmer than planned,
and failure would ensue. In the case of a small personal homebuilt, the risk
is only when the #$%^ engine fails to start - the pilot remembers he has
left the tub running - and departure delay is threatened.
In that scenario, the first need is to remember the starter time
restrictions - unobtrusive in smaller machines and vital when the engine in
question is 106 feet from the starter button.
That may be why I mentioned the limits to starter engagement .......because
I have changed the wiring, I should consider the new risks.
Ferg Kyle   Europa A064 914 Classic
PS: As a corollary, my thanks to Ron Parigoris for properly displaying the
technical details of my rambling remark.  ...makes it more useable.
Because I put the Ground Power receptacle portside for security, the heavy
electrics require little more than half the length of his choosing but the
principle remains the same.