Europa-List: First Run Up

Subject: Europa-List: First Run Up
From: astills <astills@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 17:30:27
Thought some of you might want to hear of my first start up today. I have a
Tri-gear with 3300 Jabiru engine and newly designed
cowl. I turned on the fuel pump and put pressure on the line for a few
seconds and turned on the engine. After about 10 seconds of
no start I turned the fuel pump on again and let it pump up the pressure on
the line. I then turned it off and started the engine with the
choke closed and the carb opened just a bit. It caught right away and
started up. U ran the CHT's up to 290 Deg F and shut it down.
It ran so smooth with the Airmaster prop it was really unbelievable. I
started it up again after about 30 min's and left it heat up to about the
same CHT temperatures. After the first startup we checked for any fuel or
oil leaks and any problems....None.
After running the engine for about 3-5 minutes the second time we let it
cool down while we adjusted the Carb linkage. I then put the
top of the cowl on and we started it up again running for about 5 minutes.
In all I ran the engine about 10 minutes. I let the CHT's get to
290 Deg F (middle cylinders), and ran the RPM's up to about 1600, The reason
I say about 1600 is my EIS didn't register the RPM's I guess
due to a wiring problem. Overall I am amazed how quick to start the engine
is, how little vibration with the Jabiru and Airmaster combo and how quiet
the engine is. After taking care of the RPM problem and a couple of other
small Items I'll be doing some higher RPM runs and then slow and fast taxi
tests. Myself and my mechanics impression of the Jabiru engine so far is
Wow...
Al Stills
N625AZ