Europa-List: heavy wing

Subject: Europa-List: heavy wing
From: Rémi Guerner <air.guerner@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:52:57
Hello all,
During my vacation in the french Alps, I had the following incident: after
take of from a rough mountain strip, I felt a strong roll tendency to the
right, just after having retracted the landing gear. The airplane was
controllable with a significant effort on the stick. I first thought I had
a control jamming but in fact there were no jamming, but only a  heavy
wing feeling. Rolling to the left was very difficult. Looking at the
control surfaces, I could not see anything unusual. Reducing the airspeed
decreased the effort to keep the wings level. Cycling the landing gear /
flaps did not change the situation. I decided not to land on the closest
airstrip but instead fly to a bigger airfield were I new I could find help.
After half an hour of a stressful flight and a direct approach in order to
avoid turning left in the pattern, the landing was uneventful. On the
ground the controls were absolutely normal. I decided I would not take off
again without having checked the integrity of all the roll control
system. With the help of friends, we removed the wings so that I could
inspect all control rods, bellcranks, torque tubes, bearings and quick connect
system.  We found absolutely nothing.  We put the plane back together and off
I went. Everything was back to normal. I flew a
dozen times since that day without experiencing the problem again. What could
have
caused this
heavy wing? I see one possibility: during the take off roll, a stone may have
been

thrown by the main wheel or outrigger wheel and ended up in the left
outrigger mechanism or the left flap slot, therefore preventing the left
flap to fully retract and causing the airplane to roll to the right.
Cycling the gear did not dislodge the stone but the bump on landing did.
Has anyone experienced a similar problem ?

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel,  912S, Airmaster, 425 hours