Europa-List: Air Box Falling Off

Subject: Europa-List: Air Box Falling Off
From: JEFF ROBERTS <jeff@rmmm.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 12:16:19

Hi All,
I am currently adding some strength with 3 layers of bid around the
tubes that the carbs connect to on the air box. They have started to
collapse from the pressure of the clamps.  I have had the whole box
come off from the 2 rubber hoses  3 times. Yes I have the brace in the
back going to the motor mount. I even safety wired it to the carbs and
one of the wires eventually broke. It is the standard NACA on the top
of the cowl with the 912-S. Has anyone else experienced this and is
there another way of connecting it to the carbs or reinforcing the
connection to the carbs?
I believe it may be from the pressure of the ram air coming in from the
over size NACA on top. I have all that air going into a plenum thats
mounted to the top of the air box. I was thinking of making the plenum
opening smaller so some of the air just goes into the engine area and
less pressure is placed on the top of the box.
All Ideas are welcome as I am out of them. Thanks in advance for any
help!
Jeff
A258 Flying off the 40