RE: Europa-List: Re: stalls and spins

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: stalls and spins
From: nigel charles <nwcmc@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 18:48:10

The simple standard stall warner, like the small vane type that some of
us have, works on AOA so should always give a timely warning before the
stall whatever the bank or 'g' loading provided they are set up
accurately in the first place. However they are just like a switch
either on or off. A calibrated AOA gauge with audio as well gives
several stages of warnings both audio and visual. Monitoring an AOA
gauge during less critical flight situations helps to educate the pilot
what the margin is from the stall for different loadings. Which you
choose is up to you. Either way I think it is a wise precaution to have
at least the simple version as an extra layer of safety protection.

Nigel Charles