Re: Europa-List: Airspeed awareness in the circuit

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Airspeed awareness in the circuit
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 19:23:43

What is wrong with a normal stall warner - the buzzer can be plumbed onto
the intercom if desired or just placed at head height where the microphone
will pick up the noise.

Mine goes off 5kts before the stall but if the aircraft was in a turn and
the wing tip stalled there wouldnt be enough warning.

Some Europas will drop a wing if they are not straight and level prior to
the stall. This is further complicated if the panel isnt perfectly aligned
with the wings - dont laugh, ours isnt and it all looks perfectly level in
the cockpit. The only clue is that the ball sits slightly to the left when
flying straight and level. If you centre the ball and initiate a stall there
is a severe wing drop especially with the flaps down.  wonder how many other
Europas have the same characteristic.

It would surprise me that such an experienced pilot would make such a basic
mistake but then we have all done stupid things when our concentration has
been disturbed.