Europa-List: Re: wiring

Subject: Europa-List: Re: wiring
From: europa flugzeug fabrik <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:01:49

europa@pstewart.f2s.co wrote:
> In the event of a regulator failure, the OV mod prevents the runaway voltage
frying electrics/battery. Why would it not fry the fuel pump...

I rather believe we will have a dangerous situation if OV protection removes all
load, and thus sends full, high-voltage regulator output to one of the 914s
fuel pumps.

Better to let the OV condition exist, and warn with an aural or visual alarm,
plus
a voltmeter.  If we have say 10A load on the bus, I doubt the system could
supply more than 3-4 extra volts, which isnt going to hurt anything if for not
too long. Just turn everything on and reduce RPM until volts fall to a level
the battery can tolerate for a while, like 14.7V.

Unless were too lightly loaded on the bus (few goodies), OV protection wont do
much.  The AC wiring from the engine is also the place to install the OV relay,
but simpler than that is just a switch next to our voltmeter and warning lamp.
If lightly loaded, and we want to just cut back alternator output, a pair
of 50W resistors in parallel, value selected to douse the watts we need to pull
the volts down, should work.  Switch unbypasses the resistors in the AC circuit.
This would not require us to have only battery keeping the pump running.

Fred F.

Read this topic online here: