Europa-List: knocking on heaven's door

Subject: Europa-List: knocking on heaven's door
From: Thomas Scherer <thomas@scherer.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 13:41:50

Hi everybody,

this morning I took N81EU a Europa classic with Rotax 912ul, short wings up
to 17,700 ft above Los Angeles, CA. Climb rate was still 110 ft in clear
air. IAS was 74 knots ground temp at departure point (KCCB) was 96 deg F.
(No OAT installed).

Oil temps were high (250 deg F) up to 7000 ft and came down in the higher,
cooler air.

Lately I have installed a cold air supply from a NACA scoop on the lower
starboard cowling feeding a homebuilt airbox mounted to the bing
carburators. The cooler installation now features dual oil coolers in
series.

This might be a new high for a 912ul in a Europa without glider wings.

I shall now start constructing some sort of air-compression device and try
for higher. I was 300 ft below Airspace A with views ranging from Palm
Springs to the SoCal Pacific ocean coast.

The climb took 2 hrs and she used 36 litres of fuel. RPM at max alt was 5400
RPM. (prop is an Airmaster with 73 inch diameter).

Happy landings !

<Thomas, N81EU>