Europa-List: 914 Binx nut bolts

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Binx nut bolts
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:59:59

Go ahead, laugh if you will..........
I never claimed to be a builder so the 'old hands' will be snickering, so I
address my self to my peers - both of them:

    The bolts which attach the 'intermediate' frame to the mounting ring on
the 914 Rotax are hex-heads (not a slur) in that the heads must be held by
an 8mm hex (Allen) wrench. So I up and bought a kit with one in it.
    Naturally, it is the only one in town and the 8mm is too long on one
side to insert and ditto for the short side because the long is now
interfering with the structure [except for maybe a 15deg twist, making it a
240-twist operation per attachment - or disassembly for that matter). We are
not counting little bits of skin on the floor.
    I put up with this for a couple of on-off operations while measuring
truly vital stats for later on, but was running out of bandages - and
patience.
    As the old oberst once said, "Too zoon oldt, and too late schmart", I
suddenly had a vision.  The hacksaw delivered an inch off the long side,
which was quickly emeried to Passing Standard, and the item inserted in the
head, while my locking wrench with the 8mm socket made it all the more
efficient. I am now 'on-ing' and 'off-ing' just for the satisfaction.

    If this is an original idea, where are the accolades? And if not, why
didn't you mention this earlier?
Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic
PS: Never heard of Binx before, but can we use them twice if they are
altered in order to lock on? If not where does one get the spares (hate to
bother John or Roger for this).