Europa-List: Closing distant cotter pins

Subject: Europa-List: Closing distant cotter pins
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:45:26

Cheers,
            Lurkers here will recall my "moan" in JAN06 regarding closing
cotter pins in the depths of the throttle stand. It involved reaching in 9
inches just under the tunnel top to a space of about 3/4" to bend cotter
pins safely. I received several novel and helpful suggestions, including
fisherman's pliers and various homebuilt devices - all of which sent in best
of intentions. For these I thank you.
            The ultimate winning idea I cleared with my inspector and it
was:
Those safety clips ('lock pins') used for finishing clevis pins. I installed
same with a 10" pair of haemostats borrowed from the "bones" next door. Took
5 minutes. I opened a tiny pore above these through which I can drop a
3/8inch mirror for intimate routine inspection.
            Isn't this list glorious?
Ferg Kyle
Europa A064 914 Classic