Re: Europa-List: 914 Fuel Flows

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 Fuel Flows
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:30:15

Erich Trombley a crit :

> Simon,
>
> Can't say I agree with your assessment.  The MP gage in the panel is
> independent of the airbox pressure/TCU.  As part of the installation
> of a MP (electronic not analog) you are required to calibrate the
> sensor.  If the sensor is off by any amount from the true MP that the
> engine is really producing then you will be incorrect in you
> assumption of H.P.  For example if the pilot has not correctly
> calibrated the MP gage and it is reading 31" of MP, however, in
> reality the engine is producing 34" then that would explain the
> excessive fuel flow for a given MP reading.  Make sense.  Off course
> too rich of a mixture could also be the cause, however, with the Bing
> carbs this is unlikely.  My fuel flows per indicated MP are very close
> to the published figures in the Rotax manual.  Just my two cents.

Hi all,

You need to check the MP gauge and the tachometer.
We checked ours during the flight tests, and our UMA tachometer read
high by nearly 100 RPM at 5000 RPM. I mean, when it read 5000, the
electronic calibration tacho read only about 4900 RPM.

Now, suppose yours says 5000 while the engine is turning at 5100 ? If I
recall correctly, prop power varies with the cube of RPM...

FWIW,
Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France