Europa-List: Monowheel Prop. clearance

Subject: Europa-List: Monowheel Prop. clearance
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 11:54:08

Hi monowheel classic builders,
Just interested in the prop. clearance (distance =3D ground to tip of  =
prop pointing downwards ) to see how they compare. I have 25cm or 10 =
inch clearance with the Airmaster 64 inch propellers.  Although my wheel =
is different then the original, bigger radius and narrower (recommended) =
and therefore doesn't have the 2-3cm clearance from the fuselage, just =
making sure the prop. clearance is comparable. Otherwise my U/C dampers =
may be out of puff.
Taxying in the other day, quietly with fellow Aussie builder, when we =
suddenly went down a rabbit hole, as first thought. Prop. hit the wet =
grass and engine stopped with a spray of cut grass over the fuselage. =
Props are OK and at idle power the Rotax 912s slipper clutch did its =
job.
I always thought it was better to use grass runways and taxy ways for =
better wear and tear on the wheels and undercarriage but now maybe =
not!!!
Turned out to be a Hare hole, dug for shelter, according to the =
maintenance man at the airport when we went to fill it in.
Anyway would appreciate a feed back next time you are flying.
Cheers,
Tim
 =20
Tim Ward