Europa-List: Nosewheel Shimmy

Subject: Europa-List: Nosewheel Shimmy
From: Brian and Pat Tarmar <freefolk@screaming.net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:37:42

The current high winds in the UK remind me of the problem which has =
occurred to me twice this year after a crosswind departure from home =
base (Old Sarum - a fairly bumpy grass airfield) with a subsequent =
landing on a hard runway without significant crosswind.  Having =
taken-off with a 15-25 knot crosswind (from the right in both cases - =
the "best" side), severe nosewheel shimmy was encountered on landing, =
which continued until the aircraft was brought to rest.  Not pleasant =
waiting for something to break, and unable to do anything about it.  =
Fortunately no damage on either occasion.  Has anyone else encountered =
this problem, and is there a remedy?  The friction on the (so called) =
shimmy damper was checked as between 8-9 Kgs on both occasions.  Ian =
Rickard has suggested that I reduce friction to around 5-6 Kgs in the =
hope that slipstream will straighten the nosewheel in flight from any =
inadvertant sidethrust imparted during rotation.

Brian Tarmar
G-OBJT 055 Classic Trigear,  912S/Warpdrive and XS front/mods
65 hours and still smiling when it ain't shimmying!