Europa-List: More on constant speed props

Subject: Europa-List: More on constant speed props
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:42:44

Dear Europaphiles,

There has been quite a bit of correspondence lately with regard to
constant speed props. I have a Whirlwind hydraulic C/S prop which has
served me very well for 450+ hours. I have had this prop on my plane
---From new after hearing Kim Prout say that it was the single biggest
improvement to his plane. I have no involvement with this company but I
can give a sincere testimonial. A few details :-

    * See information at http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/series100.php.
      Greg Anderson is the contact - he says current delivery timing is
      ~ 4 weeks.
    * The prop is very light, 9.3 lbs. Engine always cranks easily on
      cold starts.
    * High quality spinner and mounting.
    * Prop is designed for the Rotax 912/912S/914 installation. There is
      a gear box shaft mod required for the oil feed to the prop.
    * Hydraulic governor is very accurate and consistent.
    * Price is not inexpensive but is excellent value at $3,995 plus
      $1,275 for the governor.
    * Excellent short field take off. Fully fine max speed is easily set
      at 5,800 rpm.
    * Easily set for whatever cruise RPM and manifold pressure are
      desired. Excellent high speed performance - if I want to go at
      full blast, I just dial in 5500 rpm and go full throttle.
    * Whirlwind propellers are popular with the competitive aerobatic crowd.
    * Since the governor occupies the pad which would normally mount a
      vacuum pump, instrumentation must be electric only. This is not a
      big problem if one uses low current draw items such as a DYNON
      EFIS and LED nav/position lights.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina