Europa-List: Bird strike

Subject: Europa-List: Bird strike
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:51:20

In a message dated 3/30/2006 3:00:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
europa-list-digest@matronics.com writes:

> How about direct bird strike to windscreen? Details?

Twenty some odd years ago whilst I was attending Embry-Riddle Aeronautical
University in Daytona Beach, FL, one of their 172's took a bird strike (pelican)

directly in the center of the windshield over near Tampa. Typically, Riddle
usually booked their instructional flights with a student, instructor and
another student in the back seat as an observer. The pelican came through the
windshield and smacked the guy in the back seat squarely in the face, killing
him

instantly. The instructor was able to safely land the plane, but what a mess!
Given that the 172's windshield is thicker than the stock Europa, I would
imagine that a bird strike to the windshield of a Europa would be devastating.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN
A-245 (Tying up loose ends while waiting for inspection)