Europa-List: Fuel testing

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel testing
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 23:02:31

Cheers,
            I follow the thread on gascolators and water drains with
interest. Some of the solutions are insightful regarding what fuel goes
through from stroage tank to engine, and some are not.
            However, much depends on where you get your fuel. If you're
flying in the early spring in Northern Canada, you want to ask, "How long
has this fuel been in your tanks?", and "when was the last aircraft fueled?"
because there could be all sorts of gup in there. So one guy's advice is
another's beware......
            Also from having checked fuel tanks in many different machines I
can swear that each needs its own routine. The Harvard requires you to lie
in the dirt dripping the wing tanks, and then dripping the gascolator - one
for overnight storage, the other for water in the lines (and any dirt that
gets by the filters).
            I have both water drains for tank storage checks and gascolator
for dirt in the lines. You can bet your bippy that they get checked before
every first flight and whenever contaminated fuel is remotely suspected.
They are also tested before every second flight - sometimes the vibration
loosens hiding dirt. AND they are located not under the wings, but behind
them (where I can reach them handily) so I'm not tempted to avoid looking.
Yes I have the extended wire gauze gascolator cup for greater catch-itude.
            These are things some may not have contemplated before......?
Happy Landings,
Ferg
A064