Re: Europa-List: Ampreg 20 resin,

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ampreg 20 resin,
From: JRBob Gowing <gowingjr@acr.net.au>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 09:11:38

I support Steve Hagar

According to Peter Austin, classic #198, in his email 24/9/04, with Subject:
"Europa-List: Araldite exp date"

Peter's email said he spoke at some length to one of the head chemists in a
major company in this country (UK?) asking specifically about expiry dates
and their meaning with the reply "as they are basically two inert substances
until mixed and if stored correctly in their containers there is not a
problem as the exp date is for company records and is deleted from their
records at the said date. Meaning should you have a batch that is faulty or
fails on you prior to the exp date they will respond."

I have tested like specimens made in syringes for insulin injecting and
found little deterioration in breading strength and recently made a test
piece of A420 purchased with my kit in 1997. I bonded two pieces of
aluminium strip about 1" square at 90 degrees, warmed to about 80 deg C for
4 hrs and could not break it in shear while holding one arm in a vice and
pulling upward with my hand(s) at about 8-9 inches from the the corner.

I concluded it would be suitable to join my fuselage halves when I bond the
top on soon.

JR (Bob) Gowing UK Kit 327 in Oz