RE: Europa-List: Re: Instrument Approach check lists

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Instrument Approach check lists
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:00:32

Evening All

Here in the UK we arent allowed to fly IFR in the Europa (neither would
I be prepared to pay the landing fee of an airport with ILS even if we
could!), so G-RMAC is confined to strip flying.  However but I do fly a
lot of IFR around Europe in my Twin Com.  I find the ILS is easier to
fly fast (Less time to cock it up?) so I fly at 115 MPH with the gear
down and flaps up.  The theory being that in the event of a go around
the aeroplane has better than single engine climb speed already on the
clock and all you have to do is put on the power and retract the gear.
If the approach is successful then you can either land flapless or
extend them once you are visual.  The main point is that if the runway
has an ILS then it is plenty long enough to handle the possible bit of
extra used in a flapless landing.  The same would apply to the Europa.
Obviously if you are a monowheel you need to remember to drop the gear,
but in my Europa providing the prop is in full fine, it slows really
quickly once the power is off.  How long you have to get the power off
depends on your personal limits.  I would certainly not be comfortable
flying a home built single in IFR with a 200 foot base.  Suppose the
Rotax stops?  So with a more survivable limit of say a 500 foot ceiling,
you will have plenty of time to slow and drop the gear.  I would be
surprised if you cold not maintain the glide slope in the process.

Hope it helps

Pete