Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 19 Msgs - 12/06/05

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List Digest: 19 Msgs - 12/06/05
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 09:45:15

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel sender etc.

Karl
you won't find a capacitive sender that works with all fuels because the
variation
is in the fuel, not the sender.
imho the simplest most practical way to retrofit fuel contents measurement is
with Tony K's pressure transducer, which measures the hydrostatic fuel head and
converts that to contents. The other accurate way is to use the float type
sender the factory sell, (also sold by Gerry Davis, Lyndhurst Touchdown
Services <www.avnet.co.uk/lts/>

/Compared to capacitance type gauges our units are more reliable.
Capacitance gauges are prone to failure if the sender comes into contact
with even small amounts of water. Capacitance gauges may misread by 10%
or even more depending on what fuel is used. Mogas and Avgas have
different qualities and unleaded fuels vary depending on season. Our
gauges are unaffected by this type of variation. /
/*How do they work?*
The senders are made with a series (often eight) reed switches set
inside a stainless steel tube. A magnetic float sweeps past the switches
changing the setting. Each switch operates a resistor and the resistance
of the sender is changed depending on the fuel level. Our aircraft
specific senders are calibrated to reflect the non-linearity of the fuel
tank. Although the senders have only eight switches the resolution is
more than adequate. Better to have an accurate gauge with eighth
resolution that an inaccurate gauge which at best tells you fuel content
to within 10%./

Bob and All,

I installed the super expensive Avelec system and find it next to useless.
So I have the elliptic large opening between the headrests, with a half inch
probe positioned at an angle going to the bottom of the port tank position.
Can anyone tell me which fuel sender I could use to replace this, and which
would give me a more or less accurate reading of fuel content regardless of
which brand of fuel I use ?

Karl