Re: Europa-List: Lies, Damned Lies .... and Statistics

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Lies, Damned Lies .... and Statistics
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 17:33:51

"read Mike's posting with interest as his observations match the
 statistical evidence.

................some statistics - which among other things illustrated to
 my great surprise, that the type of pilot most likely to "loose it"
(usually
 on landing) was the high time airline professional."

Nigel,
        I'll buy all that stat research, but part of the 'Damned lies' is
leaving out the odd word. "High time airline professionals" conjour up some
impressive gray-haired four-ringer with bags of experience - BUT he may
never have flown a stick, or choked a cylinder - and these days might not
even understand 'tail wheel'.
        They're putting out Captains these days with the minimum lightplane
experience (less than a year, and no bush pilot time), then rehearsing them
through boxes and written pooh and then serve an apprenticeship in the back
of a behemoth.
        I'd be more interested in his hands-and-feet time before letting my
eyes glisten over. That should say "Only Airline Experience". We have the
same thing here......
Cheers, Ferg