Europa-List: Wheel landings etc.

Subject: Europa-List: Wheel landings etc.
From: BEBERRY@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 06:40:36

The subject of aerodynamics is endlessly interesting and I have read  with
interest the comment by some experts and hope I have learned a little  more.

I am not convinced that the difference between stall and sink exists  ...in
the end result..

Sure the aircraft will sink if there is insufficient airflow over the  wing
to maintain sufficient lift for a given weight.  A stall occurs  when the
airflow breaks up because the AOA becomes too high, and to me  this is what
happens

when you get too slow , even if in level  flight.  The 'sink' will induce a
stall  because  the angle  between the wing chord and the airflow increases
beyond the limit at which  breakup of the airflow commences. This seems to me to

be much the same  thing.

That is just an opinion and no doubt someone will tell me  different.

I am not really qualified to join in the argument between Tri and  Mono but
suffice to say that my only two trips in a Mono (right hand seat)  have
resulted in a huge bouncy landing and a go around.  Not so in  the Tri.  Maybe
that
is just down to the pilot.?

Patrick