Europa-List: Re: Converting to Monowheel

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Converting to Monowheel
From: Peter and Chris Timm <cptimm@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:56:21

As a former Citabria pilot with several years of glider towing (lots of
take-offs and landings), I still found my first test flight of my Classic
Mono to be different in the landing phase. Speed control on final and a
perfectly executed flare are essential. Not only does the rudder lose it's
effectiveness at this time, but the ailerons do likewise and the outriggers
are only in contact with the ground when the tail is down. You must nail the
tailwheel as soon as possible, especially in a crosswind. A few circuits in
a monowheel would make all the difference. Take-off in a taildragger always
means:  stick forward, to get the tail up. Never, never check stick forward
in the monowheel Europa during landing and very little at take-off.

On another subject I find the load carrying ability of our little wonder
quite amazing, even though, as Cliff suggests, it is most fun to fly solo
and lightly loaded.

We are off to Australia this Sunday for a couple of months; Cairns,
Brisbane, Sydney, Albury, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, and some places in
between. Would like to meet with Down Under Europa builders and pilots for a
chat and look-see if possible.

Let me know off list if interested.  cptimm@telus.net

Peter Timm, #110
Pemberton, British Columbia