Europa-List: Carb Heat and Coolant

Subject: Europa-List: Carb Heat and Coolant
From: Peter Rees <peter.rees05@ntlworld.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:50:01

Think we had a problem with carb ice this morning - apparently, the engine
felt as if it wasn't running on all cylinders - could imply a carb partially
blocked with ice? G-MFHI has the plenum air intake so no heating of the air
on the way in, on a cold morning, still a little fog about - could well be
pretty ideal conditions for carb ice.

Can someone who has fitted the skydrive carb heat kit please tell me - is it
a pretty straight forward job? I seem to recall that fitting the water
'jackets' over the carbs is a but tricky to say the least. Is this a job
better entrusted to skydrive / Conrad?

When we have the carb heat kit fitted, we will be changing the coolant. As
we've had over temperature problems with the oil, I'm reluctant to put the
Evans coolant in as I believe it will raise the temperatures even more. Can
I just buy ordinary antifreeze from the motor factor and mix this 50 / 50
with water? If so, tap water or some form of purified water?

Thanks in anticipation