Re: Europa-List: Firewall Integrity

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Firewall Integrity
From: D Wysong <hdwysong@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:09:52

Playing "Devil's Advocate" here, Mike...

On the hot side of the firewall, will there be enough room to get to
those solder joints and repair/rewire them after you've installed
everything under your cowl?  This is, of course, when things will go
wrong with those sensor leads.

When you want to pull your panel, do you REALLY want to hunt down a tiny
screwdriver and a flashlight to go after all those screw terminals?
Wouldn't you rather be able to blindly reach under the panel and twist a
single disconnect for all of those sensors?

Better yet, when go to reinstall your panel, will your wire labels still
be there?  Will you be able to read them in the dark (because the wife
"borrowed" (stole) the flashlight)?  Will you remember which terminal
hooks to what?

Yikes...

Instead of a bulkhead connector, how about feeding the sensor wires into
the cockpit via a properly sealed, "small" hole.  Bob Nuckolls describes
firewall penetrations and sealing here:

http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Firewall_Penetration/firewall.html

Once inside the cockpit, terminate your wires into a regular old inline
connector and secure the bundle to your firewall.  Bring your panel
wires into a mating connector, hook up the single harness, and you're
done.  No screwdriver/flashlight/batteries required.

--------