Re: Europa-List: ELT Mounting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ELT Mounting
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:40:06

> I've been reading the discussion about ELT antennas with
> a great deal of interest.

>  I really think it is preferable to use a whip antenna
> mounted right on the connector on the ELT.  The reason
> that  say this is that if it is a crash that is serious
enough
> to require that you be found, there is a very high
> probability that the cable will be compromised....

My ELT doesn't provide for that arrangement, nor perhaps do
most. A flexible whip attached, a la EBC-102A would be good.
Trouble is, it's "G-switch" looks cheap and unreliable. But
I otherwise agree.

> I have a lot of time flying a DF equipped aircraft finding
> them and have seen more than my share of crash sites.

At last someone who may know.  I'm curious about documented
actual saves re downed aircraft, not just locating mortal
remains.  Best info I found suggests lately rare or less,
and the incident would be on cable news.  These days we can
take a cell phone, handheld GPS, and handheld VHF comm.
Latter two further backup to panel stuff, and you talk to
aircraft overhead if hopefully able.  Try the cell phone to
call for help.

A couple years ago, climbers got caught in a snowy crevasse
in the mountains, and a cell phone still worked!  Also call
CNN, talk live with Kyra Phillips.  Breaking news!  Downed
pilot hears helicopters.... :-)

Reg,
Fred F.