RE: Europa-List: Europa G-ZTED Prop Strike

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa G-ZTED Prop Strike
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:43:05

The XS handling is very similar but the higher engine position gives an
extra inch of ground clearance. This is only going to be of benefit for
marginal cases of prop strike. This assumes that the Classic has been
updated with the newer tailwheel configuration.

Please note that, as with all tailwheel aircraft, full aft stick should
be applied on the ground at all times except with tailwinds. This
includes during runup with power against brake.

I would suggest that the causes of monowheel propstrikes during taxi are
no different to many conventional shallow angle taildraggers. However
once the tail has lifted the chances of a propstrike are greatly
increased due to the loss of roll stability.

Nigel Charles