Europa-List: Throttle Cable

Subject: Europa-List: Throttle Cable
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:57:41

 Ferg wrote:
" I read with interest Erich's suggestion to replace the kit cable
internal lines with AS parts, which (I forget who) said were not a good fit.
We sometimes speak in generalities, and while I agree that this fills most
needs, actual measurements mean a lot more, to me at least. Remember, I'm in
an innumerate society, where large become monstrous, extralarge or even
professionally big, but the numbers are gone.
        So I brang out my micorsizer and the diameter of the unsatisfactory
innards is 0.060 inches or 1.52mm. I can get "piano wire" at that
diameter.
Do you think that would work? I understand that the technical standards are
missing, but it seems to have the hard characteristics that the throttle
'push' needs to avoid kinking."
Ferg, you caught me!!  That' s what I get for making assumptions.  Just prior to
the time I was installing the throttle and choke cables and other FWF
components,
I had a very bad run in with Europa regarding the delivery of my engine
(or rather lack of delivery) and hence vowed never to give Europa another nickel
(note: this was several years ago (under the old regime).  As such, I fabricated
my own FWF package including the throttle lever (per the manual).  Since
I did not have the Europa supplied cables I purchased bicycle brake cables and
discarded the inner cable, utilizing only the sheath.  I then installed the
ACS bowden cable which has a wire diameter of .078" which fit just fine.  Sorry
for the confusion and the incorrect assumption that the Europa supplied cables
were the same diameter as the bicycle brake cables I used.
Regarding you question on the suitability of .060 piano wire?  Well, it
certainly
would be an improvement over .060 stranded cable.  Will it provide a kink free
solution?  I can't say for sure, although I suspect it will.   If you look
at the throttle quadrant you will see that the risk of kinking is greatest when
advancing the throttle from idle to full power.  This is because with the Europa
throttle quadrant design the throttle cable is unsupported between the throttle
lever and the cable sheath (a distance of several inches).  As the throttle
lever advances the length of unsupported cable is reduced, to finally, when
the throttle is at maximum power the cable is almost fully supported in the
sheath.  If there a significant amount of friction between the cable and sheath
then it will be quite easy to kink the cable if the throttle is advance quickly,
such as in a go-around situation, since you are relying on the throttle
return springs to effectively pull the cable through the sheath.  Well, as we
all know these springs were not intended for this purpose, rather they are
intended
solely to advanced the throttle to full power in the event of a cable break.
Using a solid wire greatly improves the designs, allowing the throttle
lever to actually push the solid wire forward.  You can't effectively push a
stranded
wire cable without risk of kinking, especially with the length of unsupported
cable within the throttle quadrant.  Well that's my two cents worth.

Erich Trombley N28ET Classic Mono 914