Re: Europa-List: RE: Handheld GPS recommendations

Subject: Re: Europa-List: RE: Handheld GPS recommendations
From: Gerry Holland <gholland@geminiresourcing.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 20:32:09

> A navman is a pda with extra road navigation software, which is not needed in
> an airplane. Because of it's dedicated road function, it might be quite a
> struggle to get PocketFMS working. The built in gps chip is outdated., an
> external antenna helps and you will again have a wire to take care of.  Never
> buy a road gps to run other software, unless there is decent flying software
> available.

The Navman Pin comes with Smart ST Car Navigation software but is General
GPS/PDA. The Car navigation can be deleted. In fact it's a Mitac Mio 168
that can be purchased with No GPS programmes, just the Hardware and Win CE.
It costs 200 in UK with VAT and no GPS Programme.

The other Car Navman Units are not good for Aircraft.

As for sizing of Memory Cards.

Pocket FMS

My 256 Mb Wi-Fi SD Card holds 5 Pocket FMS FIR's. It also allows PDA to
download Weather directly to programme prior to Flight Plan execution.

Gerry