Europa-List: 914 Filter & Oshkosh

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Filter & Oshkosh
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:21:40

<<While I had my lower cowling off to give it bigger nostrils up front for
better cooling>>

You don't need to do that.
Rather, the inlet coeff. of the nostrils can be improved by reprofiling the
edge of the hole.
My oil cooler is mounted behind one of the XS nostrils (with a shroud
between the nostril and the cooler). In this situation the oil overcools, so
the 3" hole was throttled back with an insert that provides a generously
rolled edge and a 2" diameter venturi immediately behind the aperture.
Result was absolutely no difference, despite the area of the  inlet now
being about half.

A Mk 2 version was then made with a 1.5" diameter, which did then reduce
airflow and allow reasonable oil temps in winter.

Duncan Mcf.