Europa-List: Re: torque tube pins

Subject: Europa-List: Re: torque tube pins
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 00:43:37

>Having spent the whole summer trying to do
>that (be aware that Europa have changed the diameter of the torque tube
>at various stages of the kit development and that they don't carry
>spares of the older tubes), I have a different opinion. Let me quote
>from my engineering text "/Plain and threaded taper pins (AN385 and
>AN386) are used in joints which carry shear loads and where absence of
>play is essential".
>/  The problem with parallel pins is that, even if they start off "as
>tight as a camel's a**e in a sandstorm!" (as mine originally did), it
>only takes a knock or a shock (eg letting the counter weight thump down
>on the stop when removing the tailplanes, over enthusiastic full and
>free movement of controls check or struggling with mod 70) to introduce
>some play, and your torque tube is toast! Play begets play!

Hi Graeme
Agree with most of that. The problem with parallel pins is that you can't
be sure whether the pin is tight in both tubes and as you say any rattle
will gradually knock itself a bigger hole. Most of this damage occurs
during taxying of course. I haven't looked at taper pins, but they could be
subject to the same problem.
Did you know that camels have a triangular a**se, eat straw, sh1t bricks,
hence the pyramids !:->
scuse me, just a sudden senior thought
Graham