Europa-List: torque tube pins

Subject: Europa-List: torque tube pins
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:53:48

>Graham - never say never ... John Scott at Cambridge told me he has

agreed, it's a word that will always be untrue

>fitted AN taper pins to at least one Europa in place of the original
>1/4" parallel pins (TP14A & TP14B).
>
>That also seems quite neat; but how do expanding pins avoid the
>distortion problem you fear with taper pins?
>Rowland

Hi Rowland
there isn't any distortion because the pin expands radially, no axial
movement. The problem is the precision engineering to make them.
There is another difficulty, retrofitting with the top on would be tricky
and it would be difficult to be certain that the pin was correctly placed
axially. You could have one end of the expanding section missing on of the
tubes. That's why I didn't pursue it.
Graham