RE: Europa-List: Rotax 914 question?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Rotax 914 question?
From: Jim Thursby <jthursby@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 08:03:18

 So you would rather use logic (however derived) rather than company
specifications to dictate how you use a product?  Sounds very "British" to
me!  Check the Rotax specs,  As stated "max continuous speed 5,500RPM".
Look carefully at the bore to stroke ratio on a 914 and do the math.
Somebody stated a Lycoming was in it's "sweet spot" at 3,000RPM?  What makes
you think an engine with close to 1/2 the bore and about 1/2 the stroke
would be happy at only 4,000RPM?  I know your WALLET is happier at 4,000RPM
but that has no logical bearing on what keeps the engine happy.  Most owners
don't run their birds like a flight school Katana either now do they?  Read
the good book my friend.  And of the three different 914 Europa's I flew
with a combined total of around 2,300 hours on them we can throw Jim Browns
914 into the mix and we have 3,000 operating hours on 914's.  Garry Stouts
bird also has close to 500 hours last I knew and he isn't easy on his
either.  There is a little "proper evidence to the contrary" not dictated by
gas prices.

  Best Regards
   Jim T.

--> <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>

But I've not experienced that for the short durations that I've used 100LL
and would have expected that to have occurred logically at any engine speed;
more so at higher power settings when there is more lead going into the
engine.

In fact logic is my guiding principle in the absence of proper evidence to
the contrary!

How's your 1000 hours at 5000rpm going? Will you make TBO? Katanas don't!

Duncan McF.