Re: Europa-List: Fuel Injected Rotaxs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel Injected Rotaxs
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 10:14:33

Karl,

I am intrigued with the idea of fuel injecting my 914 as it potentially
offers the advantages improved fuel economy from correct timing, better fuel
atomization and correct metering of the fuel into each cylinder.  I would
expect that the engine should run smoother as I would have less carburetor
balancing issues and the timing would be correct for all RPM & power
combinations.

BUT.....

- As near as I can tell there are no flying examples.
- I suspect that it is a small 2 man part time operation.
- The system does not have knock sensors (yet)
- It uses oxygen sensors that potentially will not co exist with leaded
fuel.

With all that said, if the guy can get it all sorted out then the potential
upside is worthwhile.  This is what we all wish Rotax had done with the
engine in the first place, and RotaxKing have a large potential market.

I am going to watch this development over the course of the year and if it
looks like it makes sense then it will become my winter time project.

Paul