RE: Europa-List: Tailplane Mass Balance

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailplane Mass Balance
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:29:28

 Hi Jim,

An easy way to balance the weights is to hang a cup from the rear of the
tail plane (with a piece of string) and fill the cup with weights until
the tailplane balances.  Then weigh the cup and contents, and with the
lengths of the associated moment arms, calculate exactly how much weight
must be cut from the mass balance weights.  This procedure is written up
in detail at the URL listed below.  Everything should be connected,
ready for flight, including the trim tab link rod.  Because of the
system friction, you will need to tap the tailplane up, then down, to
see how far it goes each way, to determine if you are in balance or not.

http://terryseaver.home.comcast.net/N135TD_mods.htm
Look at the section called "Tailplane mass balance procedure"

Regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD