Europa-List: Tailplane Mass Balance

Subject: Europa-List: Tailplane Mass Balance
From: Jim Butcher <europa@triton.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 21:15:42

How does one go about balancing the tailplanes?  I have the tailplanes with trim
tabs in place.  I have not connected the trim tabs to TS05 trim tab link rod.
All the rest of the pitch control system is connected.  I have installed Mod
70 but this is my initial attempt at balance. The weights are clear of pitch
control stop structure and the new tuffnal strips from Mod 70.  If I take both
weights off TP18 the mass balance arm it swings up to its stop.  However if
I add the weights the tailplanes can be put in any position and stay there.

Is the idea to add just enough weight so the tailplanes come to their neutral
position
aligned with the fuselage?

I read a thread that referred to stick forces when displaced from neutral.  Is
this the way to set up the balance?

Obviously there is something I don't understand.  Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks

Jim Butcher A185 N241BW
Close to going to the airport